Saturday, March 21, 2009

i love this man.

This is Pedro Szalay. He is absolutely and extraordinarily beautiful. He received a state award for the best performer (or something like that...). Nonetheless, an amazing and prestigious award was given to him for his efforts. He's shaped each and every one of us into the dancer that we are today. He gives each of us the confidence we seek and allows us to share it with the public. I don't know where I would be without him.

Today's rehearsal went very well. Although I dug out a huge ingrown toenail last night so my toe is in critical condition. Poppies went nearly perfect today, and the Trois was just splendid. I can't wait to perform it! I found out today that I'm performing at both shows at the theatre. And I'm only doing Poppies at the Taubman museum. This is really exciting. The museum show is in about 3 or 4 weeks, and we're all getting pumped.

One thing I've learned through the company is what it means to be professional. I've had to deal with being put down and pushed aside to put other girls in front of me for great parts. And I've learned to deal with that. I take that and use that as a motivation to work harder so that I can be that girl next time around. It frustrates me when people don't know what it means to be professional. You can't just mope around and get angry with yourself all day. First of all, it's the director's decision to place you as that part; there's nothing you can do to change that. And second of all, you should only cry when you don't get to dance at all. Also, it's a matter of how long you've been in the company. I've been in this company for about 3 years now, and I've moved up. I used to be a tinytinytiny Junior company member, and now I'm working hard as a Senior company member. I worked hard to get where I am now, and I can't wait to excel even more. It's always an uphill climb. You have to be willing to get down and dirty.

"Life is beautiful. Music is beautiful. Pedro is beautiful."--Pedro Szalay
xobria