Sunday, November 15, 2009

yes, we can do the can-can.


"do i have chin fat?!"





Today was the performance with the Youth Symphony Orchestra. I love doing the shows with the orchestras because live music is always fun! It's not everyday that a ballet company like us gets the opportunity to dance with such a talented group of musicians in our area. But what makes today really remarkable is that the symphony was made up of kids our age (15-18). They played songs that sounded significantly mature, and it all sounded so splendid. And the best thing about performing with live music is that they can speed up or slow down to help us dancers out.
Everyone in the symphony were really sweet and extremely talented. We spoke with a few of them, and they love performing with us as much as we do with them! I also learned that the intrument that plays the melody in the Sugar Plum variation is called a Celeste. It makes a very beautiful sound and the boy that played it was very nice. They played the famous "can-can" song while us dancers were creating our own kickline backstage. A kickline with tutus + pointe shoes is a sight to see. The harpist on the other side of the stage was trying so hard not to laugh at us.
A few close family friends came to see the show, and they don't know much about dancing. All they know is that I do it, and I'm quite good at it. It's so great to show them what it's like to be a real dancer and going to real shows and getting great exposure. I invited them all to see the Nutcracker next month as well as the other performances coming up in the next few months. One of them said, "Bria, if you're not there, it's not worth watching." And even though they're not very educated about dancing. And even though they haven't been to many performances. It still touched me, and it makes it all worth while.

I just love waking up in the morning and knowing how much I love my life. Being able to do the thing that I love for an entire day makes me very happy. It would make anyone happy. And I feel so lucky to be doing this because I know that I'm one of the lucky ones. All of us in this company are so lucky to have somone like Pedro who wants to train us and prepare us for the dance world. I've got my mind set on this life that was made for me, and I'm putting my soul into something that I will do for the rest of my life. I'm just as lucky as each and every one of those members in the symphony. And I'm sure they each love what they're doing because they wouldn't be there if they didn't. It's just amazing to see everyone in their own place. Whether it's right on stage, or in the wings. Everyone has a place to call their own.

4 comments:

Alex said...

OMG, I remember i danced can can with my ballet group when i was like 8,i remembered those days where body was all flexible and amazing.
Oh,Bria you are so lucky!!!
I wish I could wake up and say,
"Let's dance," even though my body is in the greatest pain and I wish my body always always hurt from all those amazing nights that i would dance my butt off,and when people ask, "Hey,what are you doing after school?" I would answer,
"DANCE!!!" Lucky,lucky Bria, go dance your heart out for the people that want to do it so bad!! do it for me!!!
Love Always,
"Alex

bria ballerina said...

Oh, Alex. I feel s blessed. Every day. And I can never express how thankful + lucky I am. You can dance too. It doesn't matter where you are. Just dance. In your bedroom. In the streets. In the hallways at school. It doesn't matter because as long as it feels right you should keep doing it.
And don't worry. Every step that I dance is for people like you and all that aspire to dance.

<3bria

Alex said...

Thank you so much! You know how to bring a smile to my face! :D
Oh guess what? Today in PE we were talking about different types of dance, you know like hip hop and what not, and they asked me what i like dancing, i said ballet, and then they told me to show them and i froze. i haven't danced in so long, so for the first time in 6 years, i did a Grand Jete, and i realized it wasn't an 8 year old's grand jete, it was an amazing,perfect and beautiful one, i was like O.O no way i did that! Then we tried, keyword here :tried, to do fouette turns but we didn't succeed. They're hard! I'll keep on trying!
Love Always,
"Alex

bria ballerina said...

That's so great!!! See! I told you you can do it. The first step is DO IT. No matter what.
And trust me, fouettes take years to perfect...well, at least for me they do. I don't even have them down perfectly. I'm working so hard to get them, and I know that my hard work will pay off! Yours will too!
Keep dancing!

xoxo,
<3bria