Sunday, February 14, 2010

happy (valentine's) day.

Kirk Henning + Shira Lanyi; photo by: Aaron Sutten

"these violent delights have violent ends
and in their triumph die, like fire and powder,
which, as they kiss, consume." - friar lawrence; romeo + juliet, act ii, scene 6



Happy Valentine's Day, fabulous followers!
Today was a fabulous day in Richmond. The company left this morning at about 10 in the morning, and we arrived at the Carpenter Theatre around 1. The best thing about today was spending time with my other single friends. All my best friends have boyfriends, but all my good friends are single like me. I can honestly say that I would've had a miserable Valentine's Day if I was spending it with a bunch of people with significant others. But since I didn't, it was an awesome day! But then again, it didn't have to be Valentine's Day for me to just have a nice and happy day...

The ballet was exquisite. I recognized many of the dancers onstage, and it made it all the more special. Romeo + Juliet is my favorite ballet, and I was so excited to be sitting there in the presence of great dancers dancing the best ballet ever. First of all, let me say that the theatre was absolutely beautiful! It was beautifully decorated with old-timey stuff. It reminded me of the old movie theatre that's in the old area of my town.

The handsome, dreamy Kirk Henning played Romeo. He was a guest artist for our company the last time we did Coppelia, and I never forgot how I fell for him...no really, I fell. One time during rehearsal, my shoe came off, and he was right there in front of me. He held out his hand and assisted me to put my shoe back on. From that moment on, I knew it was love (ha!). He's an exquisite dancer, and the way he puts his heart and soul into his movements is just beautiful. He never sells himself short.
Juliet was played by Shira Lanyi. I've never seen her perform before, but I'm so glad that I got to see her as Juliet. She danced and acted the innocence and freshness of Juliet perfectly. Plus, her arabesque was to die for. When I watched her dance, I was smiling because she was just brilliant.

The balcony scene got to me, as always. I was in tears, and even though I knew it was coming, I still cried. Probably harder than I usually do. It makes me wonder what life would be like if it was like a ballet. Everyone would wear their hearts on their sleeves because to dance means to show your soul. Your heart. Who you really are. And maybe things would be easier. Maybe things that seem meant to be, will be meant to be.
The death scene also left me in tears. I've read the story of Romeo + Juliet several times, but seeing it performed beautifully as it was today pulled my heartstrings. I once thought that the story of R + J was dumb and naive. But when you know that what you have is all you'll ever need, you know. Romeo and Juliet might have been reckless teenagers, but they knew. And that's all that mattered.

Today was a beautiful and loving day. The universe did well for me today.
I hope you all had a wonderful Valentine's Day as well!

All you need is love!
xobria

No comments: