Thursday, February 18, 2010

stress is the new negro.


Things just seem to be getting busier and busier around here! But definitely for the better. Life is looking so busy and beautiful these days. I love this fast paced kind of living. It keeps things flowing. No time to slack off and dwell about the past. Gotta keep moving on.

Yesterday I began some volunteer work at a local elementary school. I'm volunteering to help teach a kindergarten class some simple Spanish. I was a little nervous because I didn't really know what to expect walking in there, but as soon as I saw those little kids' faces, I knew that they would love me no matter what. That's the thing I love about little kids. You can screw up on anything, and they're still going to love you all the same.

I taught them counting from 1-10, which almost every kid these days knows how to do. Thanks to my homegirl, Dora the Explorer and her cuz Diego. And I taught them colors. And this is where I screwed up...I almost forgot how to say "black" in Spanish. I pointed to the color, and had a brain fart. Luckily, it came to me quick enough for me to not look like a fool. Negro. That's Spanish for the color "black".
I get to go to the school every week, and I can't wait to get to know the kids a little better as well as watch them learn Spanish! I've always loved volunteer work, but this one is so great because I also get to use what I've learned in school to help others. Now that's what I'm talking about.

Tomorrow is my audition for Alvin Ailey in Baltimore. I've got all my applications ready. All I've got to do is wash a few leotards, find some clean flat ballet shoes, pack a little, and get some good rest!! I'm very excited because Alvin Ailey is a great modern program, and I've been told several times that I would fit right in with them. Which I would definitely have to agree with. They are so strong in ballet, but even stronger in modern. I love it.

Also, I am going to announce that I am not going to be attending LINES Ballet's summer program. They're deposit deadline was more than a week ago, and it was still too early for me to make a decision. It was very hard to decline such an amazing program, but it also had to do with the whole housing situation. I had nowhere to stay! But I've still got one or two more auditions to do to close up this year's audition season. But I'm also looking into some other schools that I have overlooked for summer program auditions and their DVD auditions.

The work never ends!
Off I go...
xobria

PS. I love Priscilla Ahn.

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Aw, teaching the little kiddies sounds like so much fun! How did you get into that?

And good luck with your audition :)

bria ballerina said...

The lady that's in charge of the program came in to our spanish class one day and asked if anyone was interested. It is a lot of fun, and even though I was nervous at first, I'm so glad that I went through with it! :)

And thanks, love!! I'm excited.

<3bria