Thursday, March 18, 2010

the feather.

"yes, you can lose somebody overnight. yes, your whole life can be turned upside down. life is short. it can come and go like a feather in the wind." - shania twain


Today my friend and I were playing around with a bunch of craft feathers that she had. They were brightly colored and fluffy. And we just played around with them throwing them up in the air and watching them float down onto the table tops. But then I came across the perfect feather. The perfect feather. It was perfect in every way. It was perfectly shaped, fluffed, and most importantly: the way it floated. It's descent was so flawless. Any ordinary person would take this feather for granted. But I love this feather.

My friend pointed out that we were making these feathers to be something quite metaphorical. She had found a feather with a little broken barb. She said,

"This feather represents me. And this little piece represents my heart. It's still attached, but it's trying so hard to keep from falling off."







I always talk about being light-hearted and taking away any unnecessary weights off of your life, yet I can't seem to do it myself. However, these dinky craft feathers have taught me a few things. People are going to take others for granted, but you could be that person that's going to treasure someone and think that they're absolutey perfect. And that's all that matters. The way you float is the most important part of life. The wind will blow you in different directions, but the way you handle the wind and keep floating along determines how light + lofty you really are. And this is what people will truly admire you for.


the left one is you. the right one is me.
you are the perfect feather to me. i treasured you.
i'm just a small, ordinary feather to you. that doesn't know how to float.
i wish i could float like you...


2 comments:

A Paper said...

That quote that Shania Twain said that you posted really helped me. I found out yesterday my friend killed himself.

Thanks for being positive and inspiring even when it's not intended.

:)

bria ballerina said...

Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry...I hope everything you're doing alright.

<3