Friday, April 23, 2010

southwest virginia ballet.

Tonight I attending a meeting for all the old + new members of the company I am with, Southwest Virginia Ballet. I'm always bragging about how amazing this company is, and last night really made me realize that I shouldn't be ashamed of bragging about it. We talked about so many things tonight from upcoming performances to fundraising events to costumes and budgeting.
Everything we talked about tonight made me realize that I really am a part of something greater than myself. Greater than all of us put together. There are so many people contributing to the company. There is just so much love going into this art form and the dancers involved. It's so inspiring.

Things I didn't know about the company, but now I do =
-we reach out and help over 10,000 people in the community.
-over the past year, we've had over 250 volunteers helping out backstage, in the studios, at fundraising events, etc. for thousands of hours. They're the ones that really keep the company together.
-the budget for the year is about $200,000, or $4,000 per dancer. This includes studio renting, costs for each performance, and pointe shoes and tights for the dancers.

So much time, money, sweat, and love goes into this company. I am a lot more appreciative of everything and everyone that helps out because without them, we wouldn't exist!! That picture up there is a picture of one of the ways we raise money. It's called "A Girl and Her Tutu", and that right there is my tutu!! Every year, a senior company member fills out a questionnaire, and the answers to the questions end up on a little card attached to a tutu made by a volunteer. These things sell like hot cakes!! Actually, they're not only sold at our shows, but also in different stores around the city. So if you happen to see one of these on display, buy one!! They make great gifts for any tiny, aspiring dancer!!

Tomorrow is the end of the 09-10 season for the company with the last Taubman show of the season and a cast party afterwards!! Photoshoot on Sunday!!

xobria

PS. I love chocolate fondu fountains.

No comments: