Thursday, June 24, 2010


"boys are stupid...sometimes you have to put them in the freezer for a while." - leticia

Tonight I talked to my long time friend and old babysitter, Leticia. She practically raised me as a child when both my parents were at work. She changed my diapers, gave me baths, let me sleepover, etc. etc. And our families have been very close ever since the first time my mom took my to her house where she has her daycare center. I wrote about her giving me a card reading more than a year ago, and I decided to call her tonight because fate has led me to this amazing city, so I had to ask her what she can see in my future.

She proceeded to analyze my birthday and use numerology to tell me that I will be a very successful dance teacher + counselor. She says that I'm going to use my great ability and desire to help other people by becoming a teacher that will continue to inspire dancers and aspiring artists to go for their dreams. She told me that that's what I'm going to do, no question about it. And I believe it because, like she said, I love to help people. And when I become a teacher, I'm not going to be the mean kind that will be hard on the mind. I'm going to be there to motivate you, push you, and help you grow. I'm not even a teacher yet, and I'm already telling you what kind of teacher I am, ha.

But I had a burning question for her - what is in the future for me + him? When she gave me a tarot card reading over a year ago, she pulled the "love" card to tell me that I was in love. And she described this boy that I was in love with at the time perfectly without having me tell her a single thing about him. It was unbelievable. And the thing is, more than a year later, I'm still in love with the same boy. So I had to ask her. And she said, "You're going to find someone else. Soon. A dancer." And I was so caught by surprise because I could never imagine myself liking anyone else, being with anyone else, or being hurt by anyone else. And I asked her, "Here? In New York?" And then she responded with, "I don't know, but I see him. He's a dancer, and he's very cute." And I couldn't help but giggle at the the new adventure I might be finding while I'm here. She finished the phone call by saying that silly quote up there about boys being stupid and having to put them in the freezer...
And is it normal to be afraid? Is it normal to be unsure of what is in the future? To not want what is laid out before you? Is it normal to turn down another chance at love? I just don't know how I'm going to "find someone else" when the someone I want is him. Oh, the crazy ways this universe works...

Today at Ailey, I took a hip-hop master class. I'm not an expert in hip-hop because I don't have many opportunities to take one back home, 
so whenever I get the chance to take one, I take it (expect me to be taking a few at BDC). But today, our teacher, Robin, made us stand in a circle and go around one by one saying the following statement: "My name is ______. I dance because..." There are many many many reasons why I dance, but when it came to me I said, "My name is Bria. I dance because it makes me feel beautiful." There is nothing else in this world that makes me feel more beautiful, alive, raw, and invincible than dancing. And this is why I'm here right now away from the troubles of the world - to dance.

So, tell me...WHY DO YOU DANCE?


No comments: