Tuesday, June 29, 2010

sweet dreams.


And this is why I love New York.

Today my Austrian roommate and I were desperate for a class that would get us moving and make us sweat. We both only had a ballet and pointe class today, and we were craving some dancing that would get our booties popping. So we looked up some evening classes for Broadway Dance Center and Steps, and we decided to take a Contemporary class at 7:30 at BDC. Unfortunately, when we arrived there, we realized that we had mixed up the BDC schedule with the Steps schedule and there wasn't a Contemporary class at 7:30. However, the front desk people proceeded to ask us if we wanted to take the jazz class, so we signed up. It was so spontaneous and unplanned, but we wanted to dance.

And that's what this blog is all about - dancing. REALLY dancing. Tonight, I took a beginner's jazz class, and I still walked out of there with an empty waterbottle, pumping heart, deep breaths, boob sweat, and a big smile on my face. Most of the people in the class tonight haven't been dancing for very long, but when Ms. Debbie. gave them choreography they were werking it! There's technique and lines and extension, and then there's dancing. What I saw tonight in that class is really inspiring, and it's one of the reasons why I love this city so much. I love how you can just walk into a studio and say that you're going to take the ballet, tap, or jazz class that's about to start in 10 minutes. And you'll be surrounded by 20 other dancers that just there to dance because they truly love it and they truly want it. It doesn't get any better than that.

Some of my dreams have come true just by being here for less than 2 weeks, and I'm starting to get confused as to what is reality and what is still dreams. But maybe that's the way it's supposed to be - making your dreams a reality. And what a sweet sweet dream it is...

We danced to this song. And let me tell you, we were werking it just as well as these ladies...
 

No comments: