Monday, July 05, 2010

in the city.



I'm about to start my third week in NYC and my second official week at Ailey, and by the end of this week, I'll be half-way done. I don't want to leave (besides the fact that I have a group of amazing friends back home that I couldn't live without for too long) because there's everything for me in this city.

It's been quite lovely in the Big Apple for the past few days, and my roomies and I have taken advantage of the wonderful college courtyard to lay out and do some summer reading. Although I was quite distracted from my reading by this lovely butterfly that fluttered around our heads for about 10 minutes. 


The other night, my roomies and I went out to walk around and checked out the Midsummer Night Swing Festival going on by the Lincoln Center. On the way, we passed by this colorful piano. There are a few set up around this area around Lincoln Center, and anyone can play the pianos as they please. I sat down and played a little Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber (don't judge) in the middle of New York City. It felt so right and amazing to be playing a piano on the sidewalk at that moment, and we strangely attracted some tourists with cameras. Being in an area where arts of all kinds is what everything is about is one of my favorite parts about being in New York at this moment. When we got to the music festival, we salsa danced around to the live music, and we were soaking up the feel of the city. 


It's so amazing what can happen in this city...even when I'm away from home.
xobria

No comments: