Tuesday, July 13, 2010

meet me halfway.



And here comes the pain...


My tendonitis has been flaming up mucho lately, and all I can do is ice ice ice. I'm going to be fine, it's just overuse plus all the walking around the city that I do. I'm practically halfway through my stay here in NYC, and I'm doing what I came here to do - dance, learn, grow, improve, etc. The teachers at Ailey are so fierce; they all have been in companies, had the best training around, and now they're transferring all that knowledge and wisdom to us. It's truly an honor. One teacher that I have, Ms. Kozak, is helping me a lot. She pointed out something that I've been doing my entire dance career but haven't been corrected for - my archy back. I have such an arched + flexible back, and I tend to arch it way too much when I'm dancing classical ballet. I get very frustrated whenever I'm taking her class and she has to remind me about that correction, but in the end, I know that it's for the best. I'm improving in the smallest ways - proper and safe alignment of the body, attention to details, and strength in knowledge. The correction I keep getting in Ms. Kozak's class makes me feel like I'm correcting 13 years of dancing, but I know that it's only going to improve and compliment those 13 years of training once I remember the correction and stay in the habit of applying it to my body.


Tonight, my stomach dropped at the thought of losing him. It reminded me that jumping into the unknown with someone new is never going to be have a clear path. Although I almost threw up my heart thinking about the scary thought, I'm still going to take that leap of faith. Why? Because I'm tired of making up fake excuses as to why I'm not.





are we shy? are we setting new ground?
...are we gonna figure this out?
are we different?

No comments: