Saturday, November 13, 2010

it's nutcracker time.


Today's rehearsal was a long day as we continue to work and polish up Nutcracker. Theatre week is right around the corner, and the performance is in approximately t-minus 3 weeks. I can't believe it! It's really sneaking up on us. I think we're in great shape right now with just minimal corrections. I want to give a hugehugehuge "thank you" to the costume ladies that do nothing but magic while they construct completely new snow costumes. I did a fitting for mine, and they're absolutely gorgeous. The fabulous Mrs. Long (mother of the gorgeous and talented friend of mine, Jordan Elizabeth Long. She now has a Twitter! Follow her on her dancey adventures!) has done costumes for the company ever since Jordan was in the company herself, and we're all so thankful for her beautiful work and long-lasting dedication to the company.
Tonight we also finished the kickline dance that we will be performing for the first time at Nutcracker Ball this weekend. For the past couple of years, I've been a part of a Rockette-esque dance that we perform during Nutcracker season to compliment the holiday spirit. The first year I did it was sophomore year, and it was the first time we've ever done a dance like that. We had a blast, and the public really seemed to enjoy it, so we brought it back again last year with modified choreography. This year we're starting out fresh with brand new choreography and new costumes! The costumes are a lot more Rockette-like in a baby blue with snowflake designs. I'll make sure to get some pictures in them because they're absolutely adorable! I will be performing the kickline dance as well as the Cinderella variation from Act II. My fellow dancers will be performing Sugar Plum, Arabian, and the prince variation from Cinderella. It's going to be a fun night.
This year, the board has asked the five of us high school seniors in the company to decorate a Nutcracker that will be auctioned off at the ball. I came up with the brilliant idea of making a Harry Potter nutcracker seeing that the new movie comes out this Friday! We've been working on it for the past few weeks, and it's really coming together! It's looking good, and I hope that we're hoping that it will be a great seller at the ball!

Thanksgiving is coming up in a couple of weeks...time is going by too fast! I can't stand it! On the flip side, I'm almost done with all my college apps. I've still got a few more essays to write, so all that's left is to turn these suckers in and schedule some auditions. And speaking of auditions, I have my first one this coming week! I'll be auditioning for VCU next Friday, and I can't wait to see the campus and get into the auditioning mode.

Audition time already?
xobria

No comments: