Friday, December 10, 2010

the (last) school show.

"in all seriouness..."

The school show has always been one of my favorite parts about Nutcracker season. I remember my very first Nutcracker with the company...we got to go out after the show and talk to all the little kids that came to the show. Only company members got to go out and speak with the kids. It didn't matter if you were a party girl or a Russian corps dancer - you went out and conversed with the kids. Some of them were so amazed to see the cotumes up close and were able to touch them. I loved seeing their faces full of delight and awe from the classic holiday ballet. But for some reason, that was the last year we ever got to go out and parade after the school show. I miss doing that. I wish we still did that...

Regardless of not being able to do the parade after the show, the show went really great! There's something special about this year's Nutcracker. Maybe it's because I'm a senior and it's my last one and it's everything I could ever ask for from my senior year. Maybe, just maybe. But still, this year seems so much more magical than in the past. We had a really good crowd today as far as the schools go. The best is when they still clap even when you mess up. It makes you smile bigger and point that foot even harder than you were before. When I did Arabian today, a lot of them clapped when I did a split. I just giggled a little on the inside because a split is such a common thing that doesn't amaze many dancers anymore. And in the end, it was very bittersweet to know that next year I won't be joining the company for a school performance of the Nutcracker. I won't wake up at 5am to be at the theatre at 7am in my glasses, make-up-free face, fuzzy socks, and coffee in hand. I won't be sneaking donutholes into the dressing room. I won't be getting "good luck" texts from my friends that are sitting in class at school while I'm getting ready for the opening of the show. And I'll miss it so much...

But it's not the end yet! We've still got 2 more shows! And thank God. I don't think I can say goodbye to Nutcracker 2010 just yet...
xobria

No comments: