Tuesday, January 04, 2011

tell me why we're talking.

tell me why we're talking when we dance so good
tell me why we're talking when we dance so good
i know you can't stay, but i wish you would
i wish you would

Remember when I told you that I sent off my scholarship video? And I promised you that I would put up the video when I got a letter back from the program? Well, here it is! I'm very sad to say that I didn't get any money from the scholarship program. But I am very happy to say that I'm proud of my work. This is my first choreographed piece on someone other than myself, and it was such a great experience.



I just want to say a few things about this dance and what my vision was...
I always talk about how I wish life was a ballet. The world with no words; where "actions speak louder than words" is a way of life. My favorite ballets always consist of a strong-willed and graceful ballerina being wooed by the bold and dashing man in tights. The one doing double tours and five pirouettes in a row. It is a world where dancing is how you express every emotion and feeling. Where dancing is how you tell someone you love them with a love stronger than any word can say.

I believe that dancing can fix anything. A bad day. A confused mind. A problem at home. A terrible heartbreak. Just going into the studio to do nothing but dance is the best kind of healing to me. Because when I dance my mind is clear, and I drop all my problems and leave them on the dancefloor.

Maybe it's too much of a fantasy to see a boy taking his girl's hand to dance with her because she's mad at him. All she seems to want to do is argue and continue fighting, but he doesn't say a single word. He pulls her in close for a few seconds of dancing, and for those few seconds she's listening to his dance steps and feeling his every move. He asks, "Tell me why we're talking when we dance so good?" And the girl realizes that sometimes words aren't necessary. Sometimes all there is is to dance.

First love never dies, but true love can bury it alive.
xobria

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a beautifully choreographed piece! Too bad it didn't earn you a scholar ship but what matters is that you went into it whole heartedly and fearlessly. I feel the same about acting/musicals I love that I can translate my emotions into characters+songs. It is always great to have a passion that gets you through things. Also I wanted to tell you I started ballet and it definitley gives me control of my body on stage. I'm sure there are many more opportunities and you gotta keep trying :) btw, did I say that choreo is super awesome? Cause it is.

Anonymous said...

I had a few questions about the pretty dance you choreographed. Why didn't you dance in it? Also, why do you have the boy carry the girl off stage at the very end of the song?
Thanks

bria ballerina said...

That's so amazing that you can find the same passion in acting and singing! I really admire actors because they do one thing onstage that I don't do - talk, haha. But I am so happy to hear that you're finding strength in ballet. That's what it's meant to do :) And thank you! That really means a lot <3

To answer your questions...
1. I didn't dance in it because requirements for the scholarship category was to choreograph a dance on OTHER dancers (a minimum of two).
2. I have him carry her off in his arms at the end because it's a happy ending - they stop fighting.

Thanks for reading + watching the video!
<3bria