Monday, February 28, 2011

storytime + the royal ballet.

I need to look like this...

Yesterday began my princess duties as I went to the local Barnes + Noble to do a story reading with my Fairy Godmother. We didn't know what to expect, but we were excited to be there and meet the kids. We had a good laugh as we stepped out of a car in pointe shoes and costume to walk up to the store. We got some funny looks, but how could you miss a couple of girls in gorgeous ballet costumes? When we got there, there were a few girls sitting in the children's section ready to listen to the story. It was fun pretending to be a real princess. I imagine that that's what it feels like to be a princess at Disneyland. We read the story, and they all listened and enjoyed the story. We didn't have many listening to the story, but there were enough to let the show go on. We get to do this again next week, and I can't wait to do it again! But hopefully we'll get a bigger turn-out this time around...

Today I took a trip up to Richmond with some fellow company members to go to the Richmond Ballet studios once again. The Royal Ballet was in town, and they were making a stop in Richmond. They offered a master class before their performance with the Richmond Ballet. Of course, Pedro was all over this and made sure that we didn't turn down a once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity like this. I was really excited for this after sitting at the computer for hours and hours on school nights watching clips of the Royal Ballet performances on YouTube...but my dreams were shot down when I found out that it was only the Royal Ballet students were performing, not the actual company. But I was still excited to see what they had to bring.
Mr. Jay Jolley, assistant director of the Royal Ballet School, taught our ballet class. He picked on me, which is what every serious dancer could ever hope for. I did wish that he had a British accent and that he didn't say "y'all", but he was an incredible teacher with a lot of important things to say. Something I've learned recently is that teachers hate to tell you the same correction over and over again. Sure, it's something that I should've learned a long time ago, but it wasn't until recently that I've been really hard on myself to clean my technique. When a teacher will tell you a correction, do it. Fix it. Because if they have to tell you again, you're not bettering yourself. It's really the only way you're going to get better.
Mr. Jolley complimented me on my brisés, and I was elated. Brisé is my favorite ballet step, and the fact that he complimented me on mine pretty much completed my life.

The performance after the class was incredible. Once the Royal Ballet students came out to perform, I took back my disappointment about not being able to see the real company because they still kick ass. I should've known that anyone that trains at the Royal Ballet school is a beast...their technique was amazing, and their performance energy and level were incredible. One piece in particular, titled "Fractals", was my favorite. It was a contemporary ballet piece that was fierce. It is the exact kind of thing that I want to do with my dance career. The choreography was excellent, and it inspired me even more to become a contemporary choreographer too.

I've been watching videos of Alina Cojocaru as Cinderella. She is sooooo cute! I love watching her dance the role of Cinderella. I observe how she portrays the innocent and daydreaming personality of Cinderella, and I'm learning a lot. She is so graceful and light on her feet. I wish I could look that good.

Well, farewell good weekend. Back to school tomorrow...
xobria

No comments: