Tuesday, March 08, 2011

gravity.


The annual Footnotes audition is coming up, and I'm busy choreographing my contemporary piece that will follow my classical variation. This year I will be auditioning with my Act II Cinderella variation and this piece that I've been working on. I've had a difficult time picking a song to dance to this year, and I've switched between several options (some of them being "Hoppípola" by Sigur Rós and "The Freshmen" cover by Jay Brannan - just for your listening pleasure). But just recently, "Gravity" by John Mayer popped up on shuffle on my iPod. I haven't listened to this song in forever, so I fell in love with it all over again (don't you love it when that happens?)

I've titled by contemporary piece "Past". And I'm sure that you all can figure out what past I've referring to...
My past has affected me, but it doesn't define me. This dance means something different to me than any other dance has. My piece I choreographed last year ("Last Request") was based on my heart just begging for time to slow down and for him to tell me what I've always wanted to hear. It's me fighting those feelings but knowing deep down that I'm weak to my own defense.
This year, my piece is about walking away from everything for good. It's about throwing my heart at him again and again for him to just ignore it and stomp all over my heart. It's about this unknown force that keeps bringing me down, and I keep falling down to its clever will. But in the end, I win. I always win. Because there's also this silly thing called gravity. I say it's silly because I know that we all can fly, we just have to stop letting these silly things bring us down.

"Gravity, stay the hell away from me."
xobria

1 comment:

Tony said...

i LOVE the cover of freshman by Jay Brannan.. oh my god. so so good. haha and girl, post a video of gravity when you have it all done! :)