Friday, November 25, 2011

breathtaking.



Today I spent some much needed quality time with my best friends - Sarah and Marie (unfortunately, Courtney couldn't complete our quartet because she had to work). I have missed these girls terribly since I've gone to school, and we needed some time to catch up and just love each other. We went on a hike up to Tinker Cliffs. It's a part of the Appalachian Trail and a good 3-mile hike. The weather was absolutely gorgeous and perfect for a hike.


My best friends and I have been through a lot the past several months. We each have our own kinds of problems, but nonetheless we're fighting our own battles. Today I got to vent and spill all my emotions on my best friends, and they did the same. I know that we all needed it - isn't that what best friends are for? And we all agreed that today we didn't just climb up to the top of a mountain to see a gorgeous view; we climbed an emotional mountain. We gave each other advice and talked about things that only best friends talk about, and it made me beyond thankful that I have these girls in my life.

And once we got to the top, my breath was taken away. There are several reasons why I miss Roanoke, but the mountains and nature are definitely at the top of my list. The pictures don't do it any justice, and standing at the edge of the mountain today, I felt like I was part of something bigger than myself and the life I live; and I haven't felt that way in a long time.

When something takes my breath away, I let it take it and steal it for that moment. I let the wind tangle my hair and make my eyes water. I let the thousands of feet of earth below me hold me up as I let everything go. I let the thousands of miles of ocean before me flow with the beat of my heart. I want to feel small. I want to feel like in the grand scheme of things, my problems and worries are completely insignificant. I want to feel tiny compared to the big rocks next to me. I want to feel like 1 in 6 billion people. I want to feel like I'm billions of light-years away from the stars in see in the sky. I want my breath to be taken away.

That is the feeling that I live for because there's nothing like feeling like your problems don't even matter. 
It's just you and this big beautiful world that you're surrounded by.
xobria

 

No comments: